The knee is one of the best joints to treat with acupuncture; results are generally very good.
Sp 9 (Area over tibia, where bone is nearest to surface. Needling
– pain in knee of almost any type, not obviously
referred from elsewhere.
Lateral knee area
– over tendon of insertion of tensor fasciae latae.
– acute pain in lateral side of knee (can develop
acutely as a form of sports injury).
The patella can be needled periosteally.
– chondromalacia of the patella and similar pain
Gastrocnemius tendon area (B 57)
– mainly downwards
– intermittent claudication
– night cramps
– Achilles tendonitis (can also surround swelling in tendon)
– plantar fasciitis
– painful heels
Sp 6 – Medial leg
Radiation: sometimes to pelvic area.
– menstrual problems
– endometriosis (sometimes)
– premenstrual tension (also Lr 3)