- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium celery rib, diced
- 2 T. olive oil
- 2 pounds ripe tomatoes or a 28- ounce can of tomatoes
- 8 lettuce-leaf or cinnamon basil leaves or 1/2 t. crumbled dry basil
- 1/4 cup packed parsley leaves
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 t. honey
- 1/4 t. cayenne pepper
- 1 cup coarse day-old whole grain bread crumbs
Sauté the onion and celery in the olive oil for about 8 minutes over medium heat. Cut the tomatoes into wedges, or coarsely chop canned tomatoes, and add them to the vegetables.
Coarsely chop the basil and parsley leaves and add to the tomatoes with the cayenne, garlic, honey, and salt to taste. Simmer uncovered for 20 minutes, then stir in the bread crumbs and simmer 5 minutes longer. Cover and let stand for 5 minutes. Serve in a heated serving dish.