Here are some simple steps you can take to protect your baby’s new teeth and ensure healthful habits later on:
- When the first teeth appear, make tooth brushing a part of your child’s daily routine.
- Use either a child’s toothbrush with small, soft bristles or a gauze pad. Gently rub the teeth bottom to top, front and back.
- Never put your baby to bed with a bottle. Juice and milk contain sugars that if left in the mouth for long periods can lead to tooth decay.
- Try to limit the amount of sweets your child eats.
- Begin regular visits to the dentist when all 20 baby teeth have appeared — around age 3.