Taking an active role in protecting your eyes is the best way to prevent cataracts from forming. Follow these guidelines:
- Buy sunglasses that shield your eyes from the ultraviolet A (UVA) and ultraviolet B (UVB) rays in sunlight.
- Sunglasses that block out UVA and UVB light are labeled as “fulfilling the American National Standards Institute requirement.” The label should also say that they “eliminate 99 percent of UVA and UVB.”
- Women who intend to become pregnant can protect their babies by getting vaccinated for German measles if they haven’t had the disease already.
- Wear safety glasses to prevent eye injury when playing sports, or when using power tools or caustic chemicals, such as paint remover.
- Eat more green and yellow vegetables, which contain substances (antioxidants) that researchers believe help prevent cataracts.