Yield: about 1 quart
Heat Level: 4 or 5 out of 10 possible
- 1/2 onion
- 6 cloves garlic
- 1 T extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs Roma tomatoes (about 15)
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 8 Chipotles en Adobo plus 2 T adobo sauce (or 1/2 of a 7 ounce can)
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 3 tsp finely ground new mex chile
- 2 tsp whole mexican oregano
- 1/2 cup fresh finely minced cilantro (about 1/2 bunch)
Saute the onions and garlic in the 1 T of olive oil until slightly browned, about 5 minutes. Set aside.
Slice each roma tomato in half lengthwise and roast cut side down on a barbecue (see note below) until the face down side is partially blackened. Flip the tomato halves over and blacken the other side. Remove the tomatoes from the grill and let cool.
Add half the blackened tomatoes to a blender along with the sauted onions and all the other ingredients except the cilantro. Blend until finely chopped but leave some texture. Add the remaining blackened tomato and chop coarsely. Pour into serving bowl.
When sauce has cooled to luke warm fold in the chopped cilantro and serve.
Note: This salsa freezes fairly well.