Potatoes are filling, nutritious and, when “baked” in the microwave, done in a flash – making them the perfect high-speed food.
But loading them with high-fat dairy products and caloric dressings can relegate a great whole food to the have-not pile. Here are some fast, healthful toppings to make baked potatoes even better. The quantities given are for one serving.
- 1/4 cup nonfat yogurt cheese mixed with 2 tablespoons each chopped scallions, carrots and celery.
- 1/4 cup low-fat pizza sauce topped with 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat mozzarella cheese.
- 1/2 cup steamed broccoli florets topped with 2 tablespoons shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese.
- 1 small tomato (seeded and diced) mixed with 1 teaspoon extra-virgin olive oil and 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil; top with 2 tablespoons reduced-fat ricotta cheese.
- 1/3 cup sliced mushrooms sautéed with 1 small shallot, minced; mix with 1 tablespoon whole-grain mustard.
- 1/2 cup shredded cooked chicken breast mixed with 1/4 cup barbecue sauce.