While we all know to wear sunglasses to protect ourselves from the summer sun, there are other steps we can take to maintain our eye health all year long. For example, your diet plays an important role in your overall vision. To keep your peepers in tiptop shape, opt for foods rich in vitamin C (berries), vitamin E (olive oil), beta carotene (carrots), zinc (nuts), omega 3 fatty acids (fatty fish), lutein (eggs), and xeanthanin (kale), says Keri Gans, RD, author of The Small Change Diet. These vitamins and minerals may help reduce eye diseases, such as macular degeneration and cataracts. Gans also suggests taking a daily eye vitamin, such as Ocuvite, to ensure you get enough of these daily vitamins.
Pack your plate with several of these essential nutrients, including vitamin C, vitamin E, and zinc, by following this light eye-health-enhancing summer recipe from Bausch + Lomb.
Grilled Chicken Sate Salad (Serves 8)
(Recipe created by International Culinary Center)
- 8 organic chicken breasts boneless, skinless
- 2 limes
- Canola oil
- 8 oz mixed lettuces (mizuna, red endive, baby spinach)
- 6 oranges (sectioned)
- 2 oz chopped peanuts
- 2 oz coconut shards
- Trim gristle, fat and membranes from chicken breasts. Split double breasts in 2, slice into long pieces on the bias.
- Season the chicken with lime juice, (2 oz) cilantro, salt and pepper. Let the mixture marinate for 2 hours.
- Grill chicken on both sides, place on cookie sheet and finish cooking at 350 degrees for 6 minutes. Set aside.
- Toss chicken fingers in the warm peanut sauce (See Sate Sauce recipe below.)
- Heat the chicken and sauce briefly in oven until they are warmed through. Remove from oven and coat the chicken with chopped peanuts.
- Dress greens with sesame vinaigrette (See Sesame Vinaigrette recipe below) and arrange on plates.
- Top with chicken fingers and orange sections. Garnish with coconut shards and remaining peanuts, fresh cilantro leaves, micro amaranth. Drizzle with sauce and serve.
Sate Sauce Ingredients:
- 1 can Thai coconut milk
- 1/2 can Coco Lopez
- 6 oz peanut butter
- 1 tsp coriander ground
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- Dash cinnamon
- Dash cayenne
Directions for Sate Sauce
- Heat coconut milk and Coco Lopez in saucepan over low heat until warm.
- Add seasoning. Stir in peanut butter until mixture thickens. Add warm water and whip the mixture until a thick even sauce texture is reached. Adjust seasoning. Keep warm.
Sesame Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 2 oz soy sauce
- 8 oz orange juice
- 1 oz sesame oil
- 6 oz canola oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 oz black and white sesame seeds mixed
Directions for Sesame Vinaigrette:
- Reduce orange juice in saucepan until thick and syrupy or until it is about 75 percent reduced. Pour juice into a mixing bowl and combine with soy sauce to blend.
- Combine the sesame and canola oils. Whisk the oil mixture into the juice mixture until evenly blended. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Add sesame seeds.