Any parent with a colicky baby knows how frustrating and exhausting this condition can be. Despite a parent’s best efforts, the baby may cry for hours, well into the night. Here are some simple steps you can take to help relieve your baby’s discomfort and find some peace for yourself.
- If gas pain seems to be the problem, place your baby stomach-down on your lap and gently massage the baby’s back.
- Walk with your baby in a body carrier; rock her in your arms or in a swing; or take him for a car ride. Rhythmic motion often soothes babies.
- Try putting the baby near the sound of a clothes dryer or a vacuum cleaner. Some babies are calmed by “white noise” or rhythmic sounds.
- Wrap your baby snugly in a blanket for security and warmth.
- Ask a friend or neighbor for help when you feel yourself getting frustrated from trying to soothe your colicky child.