Although I use disinfectant sprays in the kids’ bathroom, I can’t imagine that the molecules are safe to breathe in or taste. Are there any other quick alternatives out there for killing germs on surfaces?
Yes, there is a way to disinfect surfaces without using a lot of strong chemicals with long, unpronounceable names: Namely, with bleach.
Bleach solution is very effective, and has been used for years in day-care centers to sanitize surfaces used by many young children. The solution should be made fresh the day you intend to use it. Add one tablespoon of liquid bleach to one quart of water (or 1/4 cup bleach per gallon of water for really big jobs). Using a spray bottle, wet the surface until it glistens. Leave it on for two minutes, then dry it with a paper towel or clean cloth. This solution is effective against bacteria and viruses, and is safe and economical.
But remember: Bleach solution will bleach cloth permanently, so avoid contact with carpet, rugs or towels.