Licorice has powerful antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties.
* Traditionally licorice was used by the Chinese for coughs, sore throats, diabetes, fever, inflammation, tuberculosis and to soothe and coat the digestive and urinary tract.
* Currently licorice is used in the treatment of respiratory disorders such as asthma, coughs and bronchitis as it reduces the viscosity of mucous. It is also used for chronic fatigue syndrome, arthritic pain, fever, depression, inflamed bowels, herpes simplex, indigestion, eczema and canker. Deglycyrrhizinated licorice (DGL) is used for ulcers. Licorice is also used as a flavoring in food.
Use according to label instructions. Powdered licorice extract can be mixed with warm water and used as a mouthwash for ulcers. Glyceyrrhized licorice is recommended for respiratory disorders.
* Do not use during pregnancy or if you suffer from PMS.
* Do not use if you have glaucoma, heart disease, high blood pressure, diabetes, or history of stroke.
* Prolonged use (more than 7 days) of glycyrrhized licorice can increase blood pressure and should only be taken under the supervision of a qualified health care professional.
* Licorice candy does not offer the therapeutic effects of licorice root, but can increase blood pressure.