Several years ago I was told I had degenerative discs in my lower back. It appears this is worsening, as I now have a great deal of pain in my back, my right hip, knee and leg. What can I do short of surgery?
A treatment program for degenerative discs should include the following:
1. A physical exercise program. Good choices are walking, swimming and biking.
2. Physical therapy — particularly back-strengthening exercises such as yoga.
3. Weight management, including healthful eating habits and exercise.
4. Glucosamine sulfate — 500 mg., 3 times a day.
5. Avoiding animal proteins, especially beef, chicken and pork
I would be very surprised if after three months you were not significantly better with this program.