This is great with grilled steaks or chops, or by itself with crusty garlic bread.
It serves 4.
- 1 cup cauliflower florets (bite-size pieces)
- ¾ cup green beans (ends removed) in 2-inch lengths
- 2 tablespoons light olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium yellow onion, slivered length-wise
- 4 ripe plum tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium zucchini cut into ½-inch thick half rounds
- 1 medium yellow squash cut into ½-inch thick half rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, or to taste
- 1 teaspoon Herbes de Provence
- Crazy Jane Salt (found with spices at the market), or other to taste
- Fresh-ground black pepper to taste
- ½ each, large green bell pepper and red bell pepper, slivered
- Juice from one medium-large lemon
- 4 portions cooked flat egg noodles, hot
In a medium-sized vegetable steamer, place the cauliflower and top it with then the beans. Cover and steam for 3-4 minutes, until just al dente. Remove from the steamer and set side to cool. In a wok, or a large, heavy sauté pan over a medium-high heat, warm the oil and butter, and add and sauté the onion for 3 minutes, until just soft. Add the tomatoes, both squashes, and toss together. Sprinkle with cayenne, Herbes de Provence, salt and pepper to taste. Toss to mix well. Reduce the heat to medium-low, cover, and continue to cook for 10 minutes more stirring occasionally. Add the steamed vegetables, bell pepper slivers, and lemon juice to the pan. Toss well. Cover again and cook for 5-6 minutes longer. Serve over the hot noodles, topped by the pan juices.