Although red ones are fine, yellow tomatoes are less acidic and bring extra color to the table. For a hearty lunch, add 1/2 c diced ham or roast beef to the mixture.
- 1/2 c orzo or other sm pasta
- 3 med yellow tomatoes
- 1/4 c fresh basil, finely chopped
- 1/4 c fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped sweet onions
- 2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tsp finely chopped garlic
- * salt and pepper (to taste)
- 3 tbsp shredded Parmesan cheese (buy shredded)
1. Cook pasta in a lg pot of boiling water 10 min. Drain.
2. Remove stems from tomatoes and halve crosswise. Remove pulp and seeds with a serrated knife or grapefruit spoon, leaving shells. Measure 1/2 c pulp and chop finely; place in med bowl. Reserve remaining pulp for other uses, such as in soup or pasta sauce. Stir in basil, parsley, onions, vinegar, oil, garlic, salt, and pepper. Add pasta and Parmesan; mix well. (Can be made ahead and refrigerated.)
3. Divide pasta mixture among tomato halves. Serve at room temperature. Serves 6.
Diet exchanges: Milk 0; Vegetable 0.5; Fruit 0; Bread 0.7; Meat 0.2; Fat 0.6
Nutritional info: Cal 108; Fat 3.7 g (30 % of cal); Sat fat 0.9 g; Chol 36 mg; Fiber 2 g; Pro 3.7 g; Carb 15.5 g; Sodium 155 mg)