What’s the best walking shoe out there?
The one that best fits your foot! Truly, there are many good shoes out there to choose from. But if you don’t fit your foot properly, any one of them could become your walking program’s worst enemy. So how do you fit yourself? Here are some tips:
- Always shop at the end of the day, when your feet are largest.
- Wear the same socks you’ll wear when walking.
- Put the shoes on and stand.
- Have someone else press their thumb down in front of your longest toe. You should have a comfortable half inch of space beyond your longest toe.
- You might try standing on a piece of cardboard and having someone trace your foot. Cut out that template and take it to the store with you. The cardboard should fit on the bottom sole of the shoe. If it sticks over the edges, you won’t be treating your feet. You’ll be having your feet treated!
Too-small shoes are one of the major causes of foot pain and problems. Take care and take the time to shop around when you invest in a pair of walking shoes. The best thing about having the right pair of shoes is you’re never reminded that you have them on!