Injuries happen, usually because people are not prepared for the unexpected. Yet, with a little common sense and a few precautions, many can be avoided. Here are some simple suggestions to help you avoid injury both at home and on the job:
- Install smoke detectors.
- Keep a fire extinguisher handy near the kitchen.
- Establish escape routes in case of fire.
- Buy anti-scald devices for showerheads or faucets, or keep your water heater set at 120 degrees or lower to protect children from scalding.
- Store drugs and toxic chemicals out of reach of children.
- Post poison control and other emergency numbers near the phone.
How to prevent falls:
- Keep a sturdy stepladder handy for reaching high shelves.
- Install non-slip pads and mats in shower and bathtub areas.
- Secure carpet and stair treads, and don’t use unsecured throw rugs.
- Be sure stairways are well lighted.
- Use nightlights in bathrooms and halls.
- Never leave objects on stairs.