Trying to get vegetables into my three kids as they were growing up was a major challenge. But if I added cheese in some way, they usually approved — with everything but broccoli, that is. So I got sneaky: I found that if I processed this noble vegetable into soup, added cheese, and gave it a funny name, they loved it! We called this dish “It Ain’t Easy Being Green Soup.” Now we have it every Christmas — with chopped sweet red pepper for holiday color.
Easy Broccoli Cheese Soup
Serving size: 1 cup
Fat: 6.4 g. (34% of calories)
Sat. fat: 4.2 g.
Cholesterol: 22 mg.
Fiber: 2.8 g.
Protein: 16.5 g.
Carbohydrates: 12.1 g.
Sodium: 503 mg.
Diet Exchanges: Milk 0.6; Vegetable 0.9; Fruit 0; Bread 0; Meat 1.4; Fat 0.6
- 3 c. chopped cooked broccoli (frozen is fine)
- 4 oz. nonfat cream cheese
- 1 1/2 c. skim milk
- 2 packets of Herb Ox very low sodium chicken bouillon
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 4 oz. shredded reduced-fat sharp Cheddar cheese
1. In a food processor, combine the broccoli, cream cheese, and 1 cup of the milk. Process until smooth. Transfer to a medium saucepan.
2. Stir in the bouillon, pepper, and the remaining 1/2 cup milk. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Add the Cheddar and stir until melted; do not boil. Serves 4.