Personalize this dish with whatever greens, beans, and low-fat sausage you prefer. If it’s available, use Italian (flat-leaf) parsley; it packs more flavor than curly parsley.
- 1 pkg (12 oz) smoked low-fat Italian turkey sausage, cut into thin slices
- 1/4 c balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans (16 oz ea) cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 sweet red peppers, cut into 1-in. cubes
- 1 lg red onion, diced
- 1/4 c minced fresh parsley
- * pepper (to taste)
- 1 bag (10 oz) lettuce mix
1. In a lg nonstick frying pan, sauté sausages 8 min., until cooked through.
2. In a lg bowl, whisk together vinegar and mustard. Whisk in oil. Stir in beans, red peppers, onions, parsley, and pepper. Add sausage and toss well. (Can be made ahead and refrigerated.)
3. Place lettuce on a platter and top with salad. Serve at room temperature. Serves 6.
Diet exchanges: Milk 0; Vegetable 0.7; Fruit 0; Bread 2.2; Meat 2.3; Fat 0.5
Nutritional info: Cal 279; Fat 3.9 g (13 % of cal); Sat fat 0.5 g; Chol 36 mg; Fiber 25 g; Pro 23.3 g; Carb 38.9 g; Sodium 1,242 mg)