Juniper has a detoxifying effect, which removes the body of toxic and excess fluid.
* Traditionally juniper has been used for warts, cancer, urinary tract infection, gall stones, gout and kidney disease. It also has a long history of being used in soaps and other cosmetics.
* More recently juniper is used for water retention, digestive problems, skin problems such as psoriasis, dermatitis and eczema, for hemorrhoids, bladder infection, inflammation, asthma, arthritis (especially gout), obesity and as a regulator for blood sugar levels.
* Juniper tea at 1 tablespoon of berries steeped in 250 ml of boiling water for 20 minutes may be taken twice daily. Or use extracts according to label instructions.
* Essential oil of juniper is used in aromatherapy by preparing a warm compress or blending with carrier oil (3 – 5:100) and massaging onto the affected area for arthritis and fluid retention.
* Juniper oil diluted or in a bath can be used for the treatment of hemorrhoids.
* Juniper oil has a refreshing effect on the mind and can be inhaled directly from the bottle when feeling emotionally and mentally tired or strained.
* Juniper may reduce the absorption of iron if taken internally.
* Do not use juniper for more than six weeks as it may cause kidney damage.
* Do not use juniper during pregnancy.
* Do not use juniper if you have liver or kidney disease or if you are using diuretic drugs.